Friday, June 6, 2008

Historic times

These are historic times for the markets -- times we haven't seen before. I'm never quite sure how to interpret the day-to-day events. All the gloom & doom talk on business radio is interesting to me, but I try to stay always a few steps removed from this drama. My trades are based on well-tested strategies and if I'm in a trade, that means I'm following a plan. When you have a plan, there is no reason to worry. It's actually pretty cool to listen to all that drama unfold in realtime... to be able to sit back and smile without any anxiety or worry... that is the beauty of having your own mechanical trading plan.

My point is that I think markets are very unusual right now, which could make for a great landscape to learn on. If I can develop strategies to work in these tough times, it's bound to be smoother sailing when we hit the next bubble. I began trading in the midst of the internet bubble pre-2000 -- and in those days, making money really was easy.

No comments: